Author Topic: What's the last anime you've seen?  (Read 141496 times)

Inkwolf

• Social Worker
    • View Profile
Re: What's the last anime you've seen?
« Reply #480 on: February 25, 2009, 06:21:33 PM »
Watched Kamichu over the weekend.  Cute, about a schoolgirl who becomes a god.
Seriously? Jeeeze... Sounds almost like Haruhi Suzumiya again. O.o

I may have to investigate Kamichu to see how they both differ.

Kamichu goes more for cute and sweet, rather than laughs and mind-boggling sci-fi stuff. Yurie's world is full of odd little gods like you'd expect to see in Spirited Away. (In fact she reminds me of Chihiro a bit.) She has a pushy friend (slightly Haruhi-like!) who runs a shrine and sees Yurie as a way to finally make a profit, and she has a crush on a boy who can't remember her name from one episode to the next. :D  So, if an easy-going pace and mild humor doesn't bore you, it's worth a watch.

DEFENSE!! DEFENSE!!___OFFENSE!! OFFENSE!!

Foggle

• Mr. Pink
  • Administrator
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Damn, a security crate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: February 25, 2009, 09:19:47 PM »
Watching Detroit Metal City now, after loving the live action movie.

Shit is so cash.

Inkwolf

• Social Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: February 28, 2009, 06:32:56 PM »
Wow, I've been on the greatest anime binge lately...

I watched the second half of Ouran High School Host club, and it was great.

I watched the rest of School Rumble, and it was as much fun as when I first started watching anime and was discovering great series like Fruits Basket, Azumanga Daioh and Excel Saga.  Also, Kenji Harima makes it on to my list of most awesome anime characters (which is far harder to get on than my Favorite Anime list.)

Watched the first disc of Ai Yori Aoshi.  Too much romantic, not enough comedy, and the slave-girl-submissive attitude always annoys me.  But I'd probably watch the rest of the series if I could get it from the library withut paying for it.

Now, on to the rest of XXXholic, Genshiken and Best Student Council! Whee! :D

E^D Crow

• Rev. Fr. Big Orange Nose Grabber, ACROSS chaplain
  • Head of City Security
  • Do Not Read This!
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: February 28, 2009, 07:20:17 PM »
I watched the rest of School Rumble, and it was as much fun as when I first started watching anime and was discovering great series like Fruits Basket, Azumanga Daioh and Excel Saga.  Also, Kenji Harima makes it on to my list of most awesome anime characters (which is far harder to get on than my Favorite Anime list.)
I was this ->?<- close to picking up School Rumble season one...  I think I must see this show.
Now, on to the rest of XXXholic, Genshiken and Best Student Council! Whee! :D
How I enjoyed Best Student Council and xxxHolic.  Only read the Genshiken manga, though.

Just watched two episodes of Princess Resurrection, in Japanese, subtitled, on Animé Network.  I'm a big fan of the manga, and even though I knew that the 'blood pact' was replaced with a 'flame of life', I had hopes for the show.  Being that I enjoy the source material so much, I was kind of disappointed, over all.  Maybe it's me, but I though it was toned-down a bit too much.  Part of what makes the manga great is this sense of mortality (and lethality), which was sort of lost in the adaptation to animé.  The animé felt less "urgent"...it's hard to clearly explain.  Would have been a much better series had it been geared to an older audience.

After watching 8 episodes, I have firmly concluded that Neo Ranga is the equivalent of an animé B-movie, or worse.  I am going to plow through it; thankfully the episodes are only 15 min. long.  It's preachy, jumpy, and the characters' actions don't really make a whole lot of sense.

Finished up Mushi-shi, and wanted more...  So I bought the manga.

Saw a bunch of Slayers (Premium, Gorgeous, Excellent) all are really great.  Funny as hell, and Naga is as annoying as she ought to be.  I should have watched these years ago!  I really hope Animé Network puts up more.

E^D

Inkwolf

• Social Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: March 06, 2009, 07:56:19 AM »
I finished xxxHolic, which was excellent.

My anime-watching schedule got changed around when my library's copy of the complete Love Hina came in.  Lots of fun stuff, but a little too haremy for my taste (and Narue's such a byatch!) I'm almost through it.

Now Disgaea has come in on interlibrary loan. I didn't really expect them to find a copy for me to borrow--it's pretty rare.  Anyway, I don't have too long with it, so that's next in line.

Still have Best Student Council and Genshiken waiting, and since I got my tax refund, I blew part of it on Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo Disc 2 and Galaxy Angel X.  Whee, I have more than enough anime to get me through the rest of winter! (I've skipped Galaxy Angel AA, haven't seen it for a low enough price yet.)

ElTigreNumeroUno

• Pedophile Scientist
    • View Profile
    • http://s3.invisionfree.com/Excel_Saga/
« Reply #485 on: March 16, 2009, 03:39:33 PM »

Shit is so cash.

Still haven't seen the movie. Loved the series though, but I don't think I caught all the episodes. You know if there's any plans on a North American release?

Randamo

• Special Municipal Force Daitenzin Member
  • You're not my Master Chief, and that's okay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: March 16, 2009, 11:27:02 PM »
about love hina - absolutely right, naru's nasty. Anyone else in the series would have been better and funner.

Tried out school days 1st episode. nothing weird yet, though i think Sekai's actions are pretty stupid. like - not being so quick to make things happen, at least if she wanted to hang out with itou so much.
Watched Kanon. Snowy. I love snow.

Inkwolf

• Social Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: March 17, 2009, 09:17:20 PM »
Best Student Council was pretty good.

Disgaea was cute, goofy and funny.

Genshiken was geeky goodness. I wanna see Kujibiki Unbalance, now.

Watched Tales of Phantasia, impressive but I wasn't sure what was going on part of the time.

Detatoko Princess was kinda meh.

I think I'm about animeed out for now. :D

E^D Crow

• Head of City Security
  • Do Not Read This!
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: March 19, 2009, 10:37:33 PM »
Finally watched Moribito Guardian of the Spirit, and was pleased.  It's not flashy, even with magic and such, and it's fairly serious, and realistic (as you can be with magic and such).  A really engaging story and characters.

It took me long enough...  I had it for months.  What the hell was I waiting for?

E^D

Foggle

• Mr. Pink
  • Administrator
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Damn, a security crate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: March 22, 2009, 01:57:32 PM »

Shit is so cash.

Still haven't seen the movie. Loved the series though, but I don't think I caught all the episodes. You know if there's any plans on a North American release?
I believe there are plans to bring the movie over here, and you can pre-order the manga from Amazon.com.  I'd only assume that bringing the anime series over would be the next logical step. ;)

Inkwolf

• Social Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: March 26, 2009, 04:16:33 PM »
I've started Revolutionary Girl Utena, and am enjoying the flamboyance of it. :D

Strangely, I got started on it because someone suggested it as an anime with a curry-related episode, and I'm seeking curry scenes for an AMV.  (I also have scenes from Best Student Council, Galaxy Angel A and Z and Azumanga Daioh--if you remember a good scene with curry in an on-DVD anime, please pm me!)

E^D Crow

• Head of City Security
  • Do Not Read This!
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: March 26, 2009, 10:27:54 PM »
Watching the first half of Clannad, and am hooked!  It's only subtitled, but I don't care.  It's really nice.  I consider Kanon one of my favorites, and couldn't pass this one up.  Kanon is great for when I feel like watching a tear-jerker, Clannad is similar, but with more humor (so far, after 6 episodes).

Also really enjoying Mahoromatic: Something More Beautiful, after watching the first season of Mahoromatic.  Totally not what I thought it would be, when I first heard of Mahoromatic, years ago.  Innocent, crass, touching, funny, exciting, gentle, sexy, totally worth it.

Strangely, I got started on it because someone suggested it as an anime with a curry-related episode, and I'm seeking curry scenes for an AMV.  (I also have scenes from Best Student Council, Galaxy Angel A and Z and Azumanga Daioh--if you remember a good scene with curry in an on-DVD anime, please pm me!)
Most of Those Who Hunt Elves, because Junpei is OBSESSED with curry; Mahoromatic: Something More Beautiful, Ep06 Doing Delightful New Year Things has a funny curry-related scene.

E^D

Randamo

• Special Municipal Force Daitenzin Member
  • You're not my Master Chief, and that's okay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: March 28, 2009, 11:33:19 PM »
i've bought genshiken, but i've only started watching the kujibuki unbalance ovas that came with it. I don't get it yet.

E^D Crow

• Head of City Security
  • Do Not Read This!
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: April 03, 2009, 10:56:59 PM »
Clannad.  Watch it.  I cried, and I've only seen the first half.

I love it.

I've stopped watching Neo Ranga.  Holy crap, was it BORING.

i've bought genshiken, but i've only started watching the kujibuki unbalance ovas that came with it. I don't get it yet.
You can't get the Kujibiki Unbalance OVAs.  There are only 3 made, and they are far between.

Inkwolf

• Social Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: April 04, 2009, 12:34:00 PM »
Yeah, they're there because that's the show the Genshiken otaku watch devotedly.

I watched some Shin-chan, and it was funny enough but a little goes a long way for me.

Weirdly, I started to watch Galaxy Angel X, only to discover that Disc 1 had no Galaxy Angel on it, only a short film about Gap workers doing outreach and attempting to convert musilms in Iraq.  WTF? :D  I bought it off Amazon Used and New, so I doubt I can exchange it.  Hoping Bandai will let me get a replacement disc...