Author Topic: What's the last anime you've seen?  (Read 141241 times)

Foggle

• Mr. Pink
  • Administrator
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Damn, a security crate!
    • View Profile
Re: What's the last anime you've seen?
« Reply #450 on: December 19, 2008, 05:24:56 PM »
Alright, everyone, I need your help.  I'm about to finish Akagi (which is fucking awesome.  Fucking.  Awesome.), and I need to know what to watch next.  I have Trigun, Ghost In The Shell, and Blood+ sittin' on my hard drive.  Which one do I watch first?

E^D Crow

• Rev. Fr. Big Orange Nose Grabber, ACROSS chaplain
  • Head of City Security
  • Do Not Read This!
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: December 19, 2008, 06:23:06 PM »
Alright, everyone, I need your help.  I'm about to finish Akagi (which is fucking awesome.  Fucking.  Awesome.), and I need to know what to watch next.  I have Trigun, Ghost In The Shell, and Blood+ sittin' on my hard drive.  Which one do I watch first?

I liked Blood+, but it is a little heavy.  I haven't seen a lot of it, but as far as I can remember, the episodes that I did see were pretty grim, and violent.  If you're not in the mood for it, I'd say Trigun is a little more fun.  I haven't seen most of it, but what I did watch I really enjoyed.  Ghost In The Shell movies, manga, I like.  S.A.C., not so much.  But that's just personal preference.

E^D

Foggle

• Mr. Pink
  • Administrator
  • Senior Staff Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: December 19, 2008, 07:01:46 PM »

I liked Blood+, but it is a little heavy.  I haven't seen a lot of it, but as far as I can remember, the episodes that I did see were pretty grim, and violent.  If you're not in the mood for it, I'd say Trigun is a little more fun.  I haven't seen most of it, but what I did watch I really enjoyed.  Ghost In The Shell movies, manga, I like.  S.A.C., not so much.  But that's just personal preference.

E^D
I like both dark stuff and fun stuff equally, so that's not an issue for me. ;) As for Ghost In The Shell, I have both movies and both seasons of SAC (plus SSS).  Thank you, though. :)

Any other opinions?

Poey

• Head of City Security
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #453 on: December 20, 2008, 01:54:17 AM »
TRIGUN.

Foggle

• Mr. Pink
  • Administrator
  • Senior Staff Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: December 20, 2008, 08:11:24 AM »
I've asked this question in a few different places, and almost everyone seems to point towards Trigun.
Trigun it is! :im_nabeshin:

Inkwolf

• Social Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: January 27, 2009, 09:53:33 PM »
I watched Fantastic Children lately, and loved it.

Also enjoyed Trouble Chocolate--very silly comedy.

Reading back a page--E^D Crow, sounds like we like a lot of the same stuff! :D

Worst anime ending ever for me was Spiral.  Great series, lots of suspense and mystery with enough comedy to keep it fun.  But the manga went on long beyond the TV show, so they had the kids catch ONE of the guys who was after them (not even an important character)  and tried to make it feel like victory and closure, with all the mysteries still unsolved and questions unanswered and bad guys waitng to kill them.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 10:03:49 PM by Inkwolf »

DEFENSE!! DEFENSE!!___OFFENSE!! OFFENSE!!

E^D Crow

• Head of City Security
  • Do Not Read This!
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: January 31, 2009, 02:29:34 PM »

Reading back a page--E^D Crow, sounds like we like a lot of the same stuff! :D

Worst anime ending ever for me was Spiral.  Great series, lots of suspense and mystery with enough comedy to keep it fun.  But the manga went on long beyond the TV show, so they had the kids catch ONE of the guys who was after them (not even an important character)  and tried to make it feel like victory and closure, with all the mysteries still unsolved and questions unanswered and bad guys waitng to kill them.
From what I've read of your previous posts, we do!
Never watched Spiral.  Guess I'm not missing much.

Watching Pet Shop of Horrors, again.  Saw it years ago, on *gasp!* VHS.  One of the greats.  Reminds me of HBO's Tales From The Crypt.

I'm enjoying Mahoromatic, but don't think I would buy it.  It's funny, and even dramatic, and the Satellite Poems are great.  There is an awful lot of nudity.  And his teacher, Shikijo, is just creepy!

I'm still trying to figure out what's going on in Madlax.

I like Lunar Legend Tsukihime.  A bit different then the series initially let on, but it's very interesting.  I just learned it was originally a game.

I bought Mushi-Shi, and really like it.  If Kino's Journey was mixed with xxxHolic, Mushi-Shi what you get.  It's eerie, and very captivating.  I am glad I bought it.

Tried watching Cosplay Complex, again.  Meh.

On a parting note, I highly recommend The Girl Who Leapt Through Time.  An all-around great movie.

E^D

MincyMatsu

• Don't leave out the "!"
  • Global Moderator
  • Spam Master
  • On the internet, no one can hear you scream
    • View Profile
    • http://www.duke4.net
« Reply #457 on: January 31, 2009, 05:03:17 PM »
I actually liked the whole idea of Cosplay Complex...
It just never got to live on long enough to go anywhere interesting... Which is kinda sad... I could imagine many great parodies in a show like this, and just the fact it's about costumes makes it possible to make the chatacters wear crazy outfits and still make it relevant to the story, without making it appear too random for a quick laugh...

The title "Pet Shop of Horrors" reminded me of the old movie "Little shop of horrors" btw :D Good old movie
A true genius does not need boundaries such as 'common sense'

Inkwolf

• Social Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: January 31, 2009, 07:57:43 PM »
I liked the musical Little Shop of Horrors, but didn't think much of the original old film.

Pet Shop of Horrors definitely has a permanent place in my heart, anyway. :p  Possibly because it was one of the earlier animes I ever saw.  I think I have more sentimental attachments to the anime I watched when I was just starting out than I do now.

Finished watching Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.  It had some intriguing concepts and some funny bits, but all in all it didn't quite live up to the hype....people told me it was a life-changing anime, but my life's pretty much the same. Lucky Star is also being a slight let-down. (Too close to Azumanga Daioh to avoid comparison, yet without the heart and not quite as funny.)  Finally watched the first five discs of Death Note--our library got the box set--and even though I already read the manga, I find this one exciting to watch and living up to its reputation.

I am now watching The Wallflower.  After two episodes it hasn't quite clicked with me, but I'm hoping it will improve.

And I've bought my own copy of Fantastic Children off Ebay--I already want to rewatch the series. :D  If anyone wants to know what it's about, there's a group of mysterious white-haired children who get reborn about every fifty years, run away from their families and regroup, and then die around the age of twelve.  A boy named Tohma trying to help a couple of friends run away from an orphanage finds his path crossing that of the mystery children.  It's science fiction (not my usual favorite comedy) and occasionally seems a bit too heavy on the melodrama, though there's nothing else I'd criticise. It's exciting, tear-jerking in places, and weaves together the stories of a lot of different groups of characters brilliantly. Epic themes like life and death, military power struggles, identity, destiny, betrayal, redemption, yada, yada...
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 08:04:39 PM by Inkwolf »

Randamo

• Special Municipal Force Daitenzin Member
  • You're not my Master Chief, and that's okay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: February 01, 2009, 03:38:09 PM »
i got half the series of lucky star, pretty good, but it went too quickly.
personally, i didn't like the wallflower as much as the manga, some things fell flat for me. Its kind of funny to hear kyohei have the same voice of a teenage ninja turtle.
I've also been watching Higurashi, skipping to different arcs depending on my mood. recently watched the arc where keiichi kills teppei. Its kinda funny how everyone dies becase he wishes them too. Higurashi is the anime version of itchy and scratchy in my opinion.

Inkwolf

• Social Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: February 03, 2009, 09:09:40 AM »
Yeah, I've watched the first half of Wallflower now (the second half will be released next month) and I've warmed up to it a lot, but am kind of annoyed at what seems like a wasted opportunity.  This could be a really great and hilarious show if they cut down the time everyone spent screaming their heads off and used that for plot/character development.

And there must be more 'bubble people' in this one than in any anime I'v ever seen.  Seriously, if they didn't want to draw the characters they should have settled for simpler character designs. (Though I do actually like that Sunako runs around in chibi-style most of the time. Cute!! )

Oh, well, I will wait happily for Part 2.

exckilla

• ACROSS SUPER SECRET COMMANDER
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: February 03, 2009, 01:47:44 PM »
I thought wall flower was rather crap, last anime thingy I watch was the new resident evil film, not bad, certainly better than the movies

E^D Crow

• Head of City Security
  • Do Not Read This!
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: February 07, 2009, 03:28:59 PM »
I recently saw the first two episodes of Neo Ranga, and Evangelion.

They're both...odd, in different ways.

I am waaaay late to the Evangelion party, and I am wondering if it is worth the hype...  Now I know why people have said Shinji is a whining bitch.  He's complaining from the first episode.  Once I get further into it, I can form more of an opinion.

Neo Ranga ia OK, so far.  We'll see...

E^D

Poey

• Head of City Security
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #463 on: February 08, 2009, 12:11:44 AM »
Don't be fooled by early Eva episodes. It starts off almost like parody of typical mechas and then things start really breaking down into psychobabble amazingness.

exckilla

• ACROSS SUPER SECRET COMMANDER
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: February 12, 2009, 02:22:13 PM »
To watch evangelion from start to end you trully need a mind that can under stand complex things especially towards the end of the series, oh and the 2 movies manga entainment released do kinda finish the story but may leave perplexed