Author Topic: what they just shouldn't have done. really.  (Read 9945 times)

Randamo

• Special Municipal Force Daitenzin Member
  • You're not my Master Chief, and that's okay.
    • View Profile
what they just shouldn't have done. really.
« on: November 16, 2007, 01:10:44 AM »
i was thinking, what is THE worst anime they made, why and also cringeworthy things they do in anime that you just go, oh man, don't even go there.
i have a list, do add if you can:

1. really cheap animation
2. really, really lame music
3. guady and obviously revealing outfits
4. having things that make their clothes rip at the worst places
5. really unrealistic body proportions(im talking about the girls here)
6. stare at each other for really long periods of time(its awkard)
7. obsessive flashbacks
8. girls checking out each other

say you agree?
worst anime i can say is marmalade boy(regretably, i bought it) because it has features 1,2,3,5(for boys though), 6 and 7.

Foggle

• Mr. Pink
  • Administrator
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Damn, a security crate!
    • View Profile
Re: what they just shouldn't have done. really.
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 06:21:58 AM »
Ever heard of Boku No Sexual Harassment?  That one's probably my least favorite, though it did have corn.

super llama

• Giant Enemy Llama
  • Pedophile Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 12:54:26 PM »

What's wrong with that? :<

I tend to steer away from crap, but simply the worst anime series I've watched was Dragonball Z, for reasons I'm sure everybody knows by now.
All these college professors teaching classes about Shakespeare, who was the 16th-century equivalent of a director of summer-blockbusters, makes me wonder if 500 years from now we'll have college courses on the subtle nuances of Michael Bay movies.

Necrominion

• Chief Combatant
  • ~Desu?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 01:50:03 PM »

I tend to steer away from crap, but simply the worst anime series I've watched was Dragonball Z, for reasons I'm sure everybody knows by now.

I totally agree on this one.  Too much staring and screaming, im sure the entire cast was constipated.
If ignorance is bliss, why aren't many people happy?

ElricJC

• Part-Time Monkey God
  • Head of City Security
  • Burn, baby, burn
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 02:38:45 PM »
I totally agree on this one.  Too much staring and screaming, im sure the entire cast was constipated.

Yeah, that sums up my sentiments pretty well. 

Personally I don't care for highly dismorphic anime (later episodes of Excel Saga and some of FLCL, even though on the whole I like both series, it got annoying sometimes), but DBZ and the "stare-offs" were so bad, and the art was piss poor.  I know few series with really bad animation since I don't watch anything that looks ugly from the cover art. 

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

HA1L ILPALLAZZO

• I have returned
  • Spam Master
  • HA1L ILPALAZZO
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2007, 01:17:47 AM »

I agree with this. DBZ was nothing but half hour of someone screaming then the next episode was Someone describing how much they'd screamed last time.

Uncreativity

• Solarian Princess
  • Dept of City Security
  • KANIMISO!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2007, 10:18:52 AM »

Nothing in principle, but shoujo ai can get pretty ridiculous in some series. I think the same thing about shounen ai, too. Some anime series seem like they have severe difficulty portraying gender and sexuality in an even vaguely realistic way. I guess it's a little forgivable in romance shows because they're going to be awful no matter what, but things like Negima! (anything by Ken Akumtasu, though I guess I have a soft spot for Love Hina because it's one of the first animes I ever watched) or Day of Revolution make me want to punch somebody.  :e_annoyed:

...anyway, that's my big pet peeve. What a thing to be annoyed about, huh? I think it's the majority of fandom's FAVORITE thing. :| Also, perhaps hypocritically, I love Revolutionary Girl Utena like I'm blind.

I also have another point to propose:

9. Pointless filler episodes

HA1L ILPALLAZZO

• I have returned
  • Spam Master
  • HA1L ILPALAZZO
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2007, 11:08:57 AM »

I was waiting for this. In some anime yes filler episodes are really pointless (Excel Saga is the main culprit here with 2 of them) but only if theres like 26 and less episodes. some anime where it seems to go on forever (one Piece, DBZ) it is useful if you come in half way through the series

Foggle

• Mr. Pink
  • Administrator
  • Senior Staff Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2007, 11:12:28 AM »

I was waiting for this. In some anime yes filler episodes are really pointless (Excel Saga is the main culprit here with 2 of them) but only if theres like 26 and less episodes. some anime where it seems to go on forever (one Piece, DBZ) it is useful if you come in half way through the series

But what about Bleach? Sure, it sucked to begin with, but 3 whole seasons of filler = epic failure.

Randamo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2007, 09:33:01 PM »
oh, i got another one
10. bad endings

E^D Crow

• Rev. Fr. Big Orange Nose Grabber, ACROSS chaplain
  • Head of City Security
  • Do Not Read This!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2007, 10:33:23 AM »
11. Stock "transformation" scenes.  The kind that are always the same, no matter what is going on in the story.  Sorcerer Hunters and GoDannar do that, a lot.
12. Cutsey characters that use some one-syllable phrase or sound after every sentence, nyo.
13. An action series that turns out to be a bunch of talking heads.  I don't mind talking head shows, if that's what it is supposed to be.

In Tenjo Tenge I liked the action, and the unnecessarily gratuitous fan service, but the flashbacks annoyed the hell out of me.  It was half the damn series!  They should have just made two seperate series.  Then they may have actually been able to put in a real ending.  Y'know, one with a sense of closure.  The OVA, where the story actually ends, still hasn't come to the US.

Also, I hated everything about DearS.  I bought volume one, and stopped right there.  I thought the idea of aliens-bred-to-be-slaves was really creepy, and the whole thing was just stupid.  I don't think I could have dealt with the little cat-girl-alien-thing...the little bit I saw of that character grated on my nerves.

E^d

ElricJC

• Part-Time Monkey God
  • Head of City Security
  • Burn, baby, burn
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2007, 11:39:04 AM »
So many series are guilty of the "Dead Ending."  And yar, super-cute chars with the one-syllable tack-on are annoying as hell, and there are so many examples.

And as for DearS, that was a truly deplorable series, true.  The opening song was creepy, and annoying.  the end song was freaky and annoying.  The whole series was poorly animated and stupid (and I watched the whole thing just so I could appropriately compare it to Chobits).  It was horrid - I found it oddly funny in parts, but it was the most shallow humor - in fact, everything about it was shallow.

And that would be 14 for me:  Shallowness - so many series are guilty of this as well.

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Randamo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2007, 09:47:29 PM »
dearS was lame cause the story kinda stopped. nothing interesting happened after a while. i have two complaints from that.
15. Overly large chest(awkard to buy)
16. the main guy always ending up with the boring one - ren was an airhead, the only reason he really likes her is no 15. he shoulda ended up with neneko.

oh, i have another
17. the cool characters moving to other countries or other stuff - once they've been rejected(absolute boyfriend, in hot gimmick the guy actually became a monk. and he was the sweet one, the jerk she ended up with gave her an inferiority complex, he verbally abused her and stopped her from even talking to other guys, even her brother, tho he loved her[they weren't related])

Lord Il

• Spam Master
  • We are .org. Resistance is futile.
    • View Profile
    • Armitage's Dimension
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2007, 04:18:00 PM »
Okay, maybe it's just me, but....

18. Speed lines
You know.. those lines that sorta run behind static characters to convey a sense of fast movement?

From what I understand, the speed line technique was something created years ago as a method to cut down costs of animation. However, it still tends to be used today because... well..... it's usage actually is effective in what it does - as cheap as it looks. It just bugs me when I see a lot of it.

Foggle

• Mr. Pink
  • Administrator
  • Senior Staff Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2007, 04:25:47 PM »
Okay, maybe it's just me, but....

18. Speed lines
You know.. those lines that sorta run behind static characters to convey a sense of fast movement?

From what I understand, the speed line technique was something created years ago as a method to cut down costs of animation. However, it still tends to be used today because... well..... it's usage actually is effective in what it does - as cheap as it looks. It just bugs me when I see a lot of it.

Which reminds me, I also dislike

19. Repeating backgrounds when people run, such as in old Scooby Doo cartoons.