Author Topic: Evangelion to re-made into four films  (Read 25913 times)

Poey

• Head of City Security
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Re: Evangelion to re-made into four films
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2007, 03:39:14 PM »
This looks AWESOME. However... I hope the soundtrack is better than that first trailer. The series ending Fly Me to the Moon was bad enough...

ElricJC

• Part-Time Monkey God
  • Head of City Security
  • Burn, baby, burn
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2007, 11:45:19 AM »
What a great song playing... i wonder what it's called...

My guess is "Simple World"

As far as the remake series is concerned, I'm still not thrilled about it.  The entire latter part of the series degenerated into psycho babble and Shinji's not stop angst-fest, and after waiting so long for Death/Rebirth and End of Evangelion I was even more disappointed in it.  The remake just seems to have updated art, but if all the melodrama and angst remain as thick as it was in the original, I'll have to pass.

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Poey

• Head of City Security
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2007, 02:16:02 PM »
The "psycho babble" is what I love about the show. It was really interesting and indulgent. I wouldn't have liked the series nearly as much if it'd been a one-dimensional destroy-the-new-angel every episode. You can dislike Shinji's character but that was part of the point to having him (and Asuka's annoying attitude). They portray specific personalities.

ElricJC

• Part-Time Monkey God
  • Head of City Security
  • Burn, baby, burn
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2007, 07:34:34 PM »
I wouldn't have liked the series nearly as much if it'd been a one-dimensional destroy-the-new-angel every episode

Well neither would I, and having deep subject matter is great, I just think it came off as too pretentious and a bit too self-indulgent.  That appeals to some people, I'm just not one of them, and I know the creator of Evangelion, his name escapes me right now, based the character of Shinji off of his own insecurities but it's hard for me to get into a story when I want to club at least half the cast to death with a tire iron.  Asuka never bothered me as much as she did some others, and I never got the Rei obsession.  The show had enough good points to keep me watching to the end, but my problem is when I arrived at that end and reviewed the totality of the series and what it led up to, I just deflated a bit and went "Oh, right."

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Poey

• Head of City Security
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2007, 08:23:30 PM »
Bah, pretentious... I hate that term to describe art/entertainment. I call it ambition.

Foggle

• Mr. Pink
  • Administrator
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Damn, a security crate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2007, 08:33:26 PM »
Bah, pretentious... I hate that term to describe art/entertainment. I call it ambition.

But it could be pretentious ambition!  Or ambitious pretention!  Wait, pretention isn't a word.

Poey

• Head of City Security
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2007, 11:11:32 PM »
Preambitious?

E-E

• Head of City Security
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2007, 06:15:50 AM »
love the trailers.
cant wait

based the character of Shinji off of his own insecurities
... well more he was going thro a suicidal phase prior to working on Evangelion.
The depth of the series has always been the staying power for me.The difference from the start and the end, to me its almost a parody of an anime genre in the Beginning.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 06:28:57 AM by E-E »

Poey

• Head of City Security
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2007, 10:10:36 AM »
It really is a parody of anime at the beginning. It's a take on a Gundam-type thing. I just watched Death and Rebirth and The End of Eva last night again. Swept off my feet with crap I barely understand...

The commentary is very thought provoking (and funny sometimes).

EDITED: I forgot the "t" in "it". I am not a parody of anime.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 02:24:47 PM by Poey »

E-E

• Head of City Security
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2007, 10:41:55 AM »
thats it gundam, I couldent think what it was reminding me of.
nice one  :ehail:

Poey

• Head of City Security
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2007, 01:26:22 PM »
(the scene that Shinji strolls into Rei's room and she just got out of the shower, paraphrasing)

"Look at her possessions, it's quite interesting... she owns nothing but dozens of bloody bandages, Gendo's broken glasses, and about a hundred pairs of underwear."

Poey

• Head of City Security
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2007, 09:26:42 PM »
I'm still excited about this thing.

Poey

• Head of City Security
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2008, 10:44:22 PM »
...Any news on this thing?

EDIT I just went all around the internet looking it up.

The first movie was in theaters in Japan last summer I guess. It's set for release in Japan in April/May 2008, and there hasn't been any licensing or anything for international release.

The second movie is set for release this year sometime.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 11:09:52 PM by Poey »

Lord Il

• Spam Master
  • We are .org. Resistance is futile.
    • View Profile
    • Armitage's Dimension
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2009, 06:42:10 PM »
Necro post of DOOOM!! ^^

Last Saturday (in addition to watching Zombieland on the same day.... and I NEVER go out to watch two movies in one day) I saw part one at the movie theater..
Evangelion 1.0: You Are (Not) Alone
It's basically the first six episodes of the series.

I've always felt intimidated to watch the series all the way through. Seems that many say the ending was "effed up" and left most thinking WTF they just saw. YET at the same time, Neon Genesis Evangelion has somehow been called one of the greatest animes of all time. O_o When I first heard this rebuild of Evangelion was hitting movie theaters this year I felt more than compelled to check it out.

What this "rebuild" means:
-First and formost, the story has been reworked just enough to allow both fans and non-fans to get a better grasp on what's going on.

-The animation has been cleaned up crystal clear from its original release - no color or dirt flaws. Additionally, some very slick CG animation has been implimented within the old animation making this production feel very up-to-date to current standards.

-Additional brand new animation and at least one new character (that I know of atm) will be brought into the mix.

So... What did I think? To tell the truth, I'm not entirely sure yet storywise - there's so much more I wanted to know. When the end credits started to roll I wanted more. Strangely enough I think I'll be going along for the ride. The curiosity factor is strong in this one.

But... maaaaan.... If I EVER met a Shinji Ikari in real life, I'd... have to just run him over with my car and back up over him again and again. ugh...! :e_wink:

ElricJC

• Part-Time Monkey God
  • Head of City Security
  • Burn, baby, burn
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2009, 07:20:08 PM »
I know, Shinji vies for "Whiniest Bitch in Anime," and he really needs to just have the emo hit the fuck out of him. One reason I couldn't stand the series, all the characters were so unlikeable I didn't really give a shit if they died.

Still doubt I will go out of my way to see this.