Author Topic: Cartoons (excluding anime)!  (Read 7158 times)

Mad Hatteress

Cartoons (excluding anime)!
« on: July 26, 2009, 03:21:41 PM »
I've always absolutely adored cartoons so I was hoping maybe we could start talking about them. This is just my opinion, but I've always felt that the ones created during when I was a kid or even before I was born were the best.

Hanna Barbera cartoons were always some of favorites, the tops being Wacky Races, Dastardly and Muttley in Their Flying Machines, The Perils of Penelope Pitstop, and Hong Kong Phooey. It was funny to see some of their characters revived in Adult Swim's Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law; I especially enjoyed what they did with Scooby Doo.

Disney did really well, too, and I still watch Darkwing Duck and Gargoyles on the box sets they've released and am still anxiously waiting to see if they'll release anything of Bonkers as well.

The first three seasons of Batman: TAS were made of God and Win. Harley was a wonderful character for the creators to dream up but she has an even worse relationship with the Joker then Excel does with Il Palazzo.

Does anyone else remember Animanics? I bought the bosxets that are out and I'm shocked with what they got away with in a childrens' show. Osama bin Laden is even in it!

Other cartoons I remember watching are Mighty Max and Road Rovers. Oh, I think the most "recent" kiddy cartoon series I thought was pretty good were the first few seasons of Courage the Cowardly Dog. I love Freaky Fred and think he'd be a good match with Sweeny Todd  :il_hahaha:

Moving onto non-kiddy cartoons my favorite show of all time is Home Movies. I actually laughed out loud during some of the episodes. Please, please, please tell me someone else loves this show as well?

As for series still in production I'm a HUGE fan of the Venture Brothers. Pete White and Bill Quiz Boy and 21 and 24 are my favorites so I was devistated over the last seasons ending! The next one better start soon and I want to know Doctor Girlfriend's secret, darn it!

I typically don't like shows that are just all violence but I really like Super Jail! since the animation is pretty neat along with the oddball cast of characters.

What about you guys? Did/do you watch any of these shows or others you'd like to get a discussion going about?

Poey

• Head of City Security
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Re: Cartoons (excluding anime)!
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 05:59:28 PM »
I've always absolutely adored cartoons so I was hoping maybe we could start talking about them. This is just my opinion, but I've always felt that the ones created during when I was a kid or even before I was born were the best.

Adult Swim's Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law

Darkwing Duck

Does anyone else remember Animanics?

Home Movies.

As for series still in production I'm a HUGE fan of the Venture Brothers. Pete White and Bill Quiz Boy and 21 and 24 are my favorites so I was devistated over the last seasons ending! The next one better start soon and I want to know Doctor Girlfriend's secret, darn it!

Those all stood out. Harvey Birdman is great, very quickle and quiet humor. Love it. Animaniacs was amazing haha I looooved that show. Venture Brothers is probably my favorite show to come out of Adult Swim.

exckilla

• ACROSS SUPER SECRET COMMANDER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 12:22:58 PM »
Well in my day transformers, action force (gi joe), cities of gold, he-man and thundercats did it for me, I still enjoy watching what people have done to them on youtube. 

MincyMatsu

• Don't leave out the "!"
  • Global Moderator
  • Spam Master
  • On the internet, no one can hear you scream
    • View Profile
    • http://www.duke4.net
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 03:57:40 PM »
Man i almost like all of the ones you listed, so to add to that, i also like Cartoon Network classics like The ORIGINAL old seasons of the Powerpuff Girls... Tom and Jerry are awsome too, Cow and Chicken are bizarre and fun as well, liked those more than I am Weasel, never really liked that that much...

I used to loooove a cartoon called Schnookums and Meat by some disney studio, it reminded alot of Ren and Stimpy (which i also love)...

Newer stuff like Fairly Odd Parents are gerat too, and i love The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy as well...

There was a time when alot of Angry Beavers was aired, while it did i love dit, but it kinda disappeared, i should dig that cartoon up from somewhere again...

Disney Classics are some of my favorites as well, especially the ones with Donald Duck and Goofy, but the best ones are the ones with them all grouping up though, i love those old classics, beats the shit out of todays stuff with those characters...

Speaking of Disney reminds me of DuckTales, awesome series <3

Man there's so much, i need to thnik back for now and remember what stuff i used to watch...
Wonder how many of these can be found on DVD... Wish The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy had more seasons out, i have the first, why'd they stop there..? i want it all ..!
A true genius does not need boundaries such as 'common sense'

Soske

• Head of City Security
  • Legend Killer
    • View Profile
    • Soske Reviews
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 02:59:16 AM »
Invader Zim.

exckilla

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 12:26:13 PM »
I must admit though at my age now I still watch kiddie cartoons but at the end of the day I think to myself some of them are quite funny

Lord Il

• Spam Master
  • We are .org. Resistance is futile.
    • View Profile
    • Armitage's Dimension
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 06:06:16 PM »
Can you believe that SpongeBob Squarepants has been around for 10 years already?!
I have a mild embarrassment to admitting I like this show and I keep saying how stupid it is, but it can be a laugh riot at times.

The first three seasons of Batman: TAS were made of God and Win.
You said it! Man, the writing and directing were some of the best quality ever from WB. I'll bet many younger kids just couldn't appreciate the full brilliance of it all.

Does anyone else remember Animanics? I bought the bosxets that are out and I'm shocked with what they got away with in a childrens' show. Osama bin Laden is even in it!
Loved Animaniacs. LOVED IT! Again, younger audiences probably couldn't fully grasp it all. Many jokes were only things older audiences could understand. Tiny Toons is another example of this.

I'll be sure to get a list of favs together later.

MincyMatsu

• Don't leave out the "!"
  • Global Moderator
  • Spam Master
  • On the internet, no one can hear you scream
    • View Profile
    • http://www.duke4.net
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2009, 05:41:42 AM »
True there, Lord Il...
Kinda wish i owned those cartoons now that i think about it...

I should look for Animaniacs, hahaha...
A true genius does not need boundaries such as 'common sense'

Mad Hatteress

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2009, 09:30:00 AM »
I wish they'd hurry up and release the final season of Animaniacs on DVD; it has Mindy in Wonderland on it.

Grr... And Disney is really mean with their shows! I don't think they're going to release anymore of Gargoyles and Darkwing Duck, and DW was on his final season as well. I want to watch Malice's Restaurant again because I think it's hilarious when Negaduck freaks out after being hugged by a bunny.

exckilla

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2009, 03:49:37 AM »
I'd be happy if they showed the roiginal episodes of GI joe, they did for a while on fox kids, but it was on too damn early in the morning.  I would say transformers but I watch that on Kix sometimes

Lord Il

• Spam Master
  • We are .org. Resistance is futile.
    • View Profile
    • Armitage's Dimension
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2009, 09:14:23 AM »
Grr... And Disney is really mean with their shows! I don't think they're going to release anymore of Gargoyles and Darkwing Duck, and DW was on his final season as well.
They ARE mean. You know how they are when they release stuff for "a limited time only" and then it "goes back into the Disney vault forever" crap. :e_confused:

I'd be happy if they showed the roiginal episodes of GI joe, they did for a while on fox kids, but it was on too damn early in the morning.  I would say transformers but I watch that on Kix sometimes
I remember seeing something about a new DVD release of the first season. I think it's called GI JOE, Season 1.1 (whatever that means).
Perhaps they've given this the same treatment they did for the recent Season 1 release of Transformers with improved sound quality.

Mad Hatteress

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2009, 01:28:16 PM »

You said it! Man, the writing and directing were some of the best quality ever from WB. I'll bet many younger kids just couldn't appreciate the full brilliance of it all

Grah. I'm so absent minded; I meant to talk to you more about Batman.

So did you pick up the boxsets? I'm wondering because I'd love to nerd out with you about our favorite episodes. Obviously I loved any episodes that had the Mad Hatter in them but I also like the Scarecrow, Harley, the Clock King, and Baby Dahl. The Trial episode was great and the Joker was fricken HILARIOUS as the judge. I know for as a kid I took the amazing writing talents for granted but I just can't help but wonder "What happened?" when they reached the 4th season. The new character models were crap (they made my sweet Jervis look like a pedophile!) and there wasn't a single good episode. I'm probably just over-sensitive but I really though they went too far in the episode Mad Love where they show the Joker actually hitting Harley on camera before throwing her out a window.

I'm pretty freaking happy right now, though, because I came across this on Disney shopping: http://www.disneystore.com/disney/store/DSIProductDisplay?storeId=10052&productId=1237070&categoryId=64998&catalogFromSearch=10002&catalogId=10003&langId=-1

I heart DW so much.

Pamplemousse

• That Office Lady!
  • Toilet Cleaner
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2009, 10:14:50 PM »
I utterly adored Animaniacs and Pinky and the Brain. I just got into old Clone High episodes too. It may be the best thing MTV ever produced. Not that that's saying much, but its satire of the "teen wangst" sitcoms of the 90's is brilliant and zany. It's on YouTube. Watch it. Or buy it from like Canada...

I was fairly sheltered as a child (I watched PBS mainly) but I occasionally look fondly back on Rocko's Modern Life and the like.
Right now, I don't watch many cartoons but my favorite vaguely recent ones are Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, Avatar, and WordGirl. Wordgirl may be juvenile but when I watch it with my little tyke of a nephew, it feels like a throw-back to 90's cartoons where the writers occasionally throw in a hilarious joke for adults.  :watanabe: No, not those kinds of jokes.
I, Pamplemousse, do not believe in alligators.

Mad Hatteress

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2009, 05:09:46 PM »
Just watched the Darkwing Duck episode that was banned from broadcast on youtube. IMO Hot Spells really wasn't that bad, even with the devil it. He was a very silly fellow and the episode wasn't satanic at all. It's just annoying that Morgana seems to have PMS every time you see her. Besides Splatter Phoenix that show didn't have a single good female villain!

exckilla

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2009, 02:51:42 PM »
^ Jesus I remember that show, I never went much on it though, was almost tempted to buy the complete boxset of the cities of gold