Author Topic: Loss Of Interest  (Read 9544 times)

Foggle

• Mr. Pink
  • Administrator
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Damn, a security crate!
    • View Profile
Loss Of Interest
« on: November 08, 2009, 03:49:21 PM »
I tried to watch some anime earlier today... and I just couldn't do it. It's been like this for months. The only series I could even bring myself to sit down and watch was the shitpile that is Umineko no Naku Koro ni, perhaps in hopes of it providing an experience on par with that of Ryukishi's previous work. It didn't.

I've been meaning to watch Trigun and Desert Punk since June, but I just haven't. And won't. And maybe can't. Every once in a while, I'll start up an episode and just turn it off after five minutes.

It's the same with manga. I used to read Berserk, but I decided that it wasn't worth $12 per volume. And I'm not partial to scans. I'll still read Excel Saga, though, since it's just that good. It transcends its own art-form, in my opinion. But it's one of a kind.

I watched a bunch of old Bud Abbott and Lou Costello pictures recently, and I found them much more substantial than any anime I could think of. These are comedies from the 1940's and 50's we're talking about here.

Of course, I'm still partial to some of my favorites like Cowboy Bebop and whatnot. But once Black Lagoon Season 3 airs and Excel Saga finishes, I'm out.

Mad Hatteress

Re: Loss Of Interest
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 04:46:21 PM »
He lives! Golly, you're not the post junkie you used to be!

Anyways, I know what you mean! I can't even remember the last anime I watched! It just seems like every series is the same as the last and I've always been partial to cartoons from English speaking countries.

As for manga I'm still heavily into that, although I haven't bought bulks of them like I have in the past since all my series get canceled.

ElricJC

• Part-Time Monkey God
  • Head of City Security
  • Burn, baby, burn
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 04:47:30 PM »
I've felt much the same way. I don't really know if it's my changing tastes but I've been sick for two solid weeks with pneumonia, and all I could do was lie around and watch TV, because it hurt to read, I lacked the mental agility for any of my video games, and there was precious little else to do. So I thought I would watch some of my anime, but as I scanned my collection I just marveled that out of the 24 different series I own, I didn't want to touch a single one. I also haven't been acquiring as much, mostly because it seems like the modern stuff is so much shit.

I also read Berserk, but have been debating whether or not it's worth it at $12 a pop every few months. And let's not even talk about Blade of the Immortal, which sees a printing every 1-2 years. I'm kind of in the same boat, waiting for Black Lagoon 3 and following my few manga series, and that's pretty much it.

I will say though, if I hadn't lent out my copy of DP I probably would've at least watched that.

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Foggle

• Mr. Pink
  • Administrator
  • Senior Staff Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 05:22:08 PM »
Good to see there are other people in the same situation as me. I doubt I'm "burned out on it" as some people would say, since that doesn't really happen to me about stuff. I've never really even been much of an anime watcher in the first place.

He lives! Golly, you're not the post junkie you used to be!
I just have other stuff going on in my life right now. Once December rolls around, I'll probably be posting on here a lot again.

Lord Il

• Spam Master
  • We are .org. Resistance is futile.
    • View Profile
    • Armitage's Dimension
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2009, 07:15:14 PM »
Two words that could possibly describe much of the problem with a loss of interest..
The rapid influx of the dark terror known as... Moe Shit.

Foggle

• Mr. Pink
  • Administrator
  • Senior Staff Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2009, 08:12:09 PM »

Mad Hatteress

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2009, 01:12:52 PM »
I just have other stuff going on in my life right now. Once December rolls around, I'll probably be posting on here a lot again.

I know, sorry. I just tend to get attached and miss people. As long as you aren't cheating on us with another forum. :p

Lord Il

• Spam Master
  • We are .org. Resistance is futile.
    • View Profile
    • Armitage's Dimension
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009, 03:21:24 PM »
Moe Shit.
GASP :icon_eek:
'Tis a frightening thing, I know. lol!
I sometimes think it's become a scourge of eastern animation/manga simply for the reason of there being so much of it. Consequently, this is my reason why my interest isn't as high as it once was when I'm trying to sift through all the endless moe.

And..! I just want to be the first to admit that I'm being hypocritical with myself in mentioning my distain to it. After all, I've dabbled in titles such as Lucky star, Haruhi Suzumiya, and Hand Maid May before. But I'm finding a lot of todays series are lacking of intelligent, thought provoking stories. In my opinion, what's been popularly dubbed these days as "moe sh*t" seems to be doing harm to the reputation of eastern animation and manga - I'm not condemning anyone who likes it but I think there's simply too much of it. The flood gates have been wide open with this stuff for too long. I'm hoping this trend will dry up soon to keep my interest up higher.

Good to see a quality series like Black Lagoon mentioned here. It's the greatest breath of fresh air I've had in a few years. :ehail:

Pamplemousse

• That Office Lady!
  • Toilet Cleaner
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2009, 09:00:38 PM »
I echo the already-stated sentiments. I haven't watched an anime for more than the first episode in quite a while, the point Il makes about the lack of quality narratives for Moe Shit is dead-on how I'm feeling right now.
I think we all have anime ED. So that'd be, what, AD? Hmmm... it doesn't have the same ring to it, does it?
Part of the problem is that I'm partial to humor and anime humor tends to be pretty plebeian. OMG, pantyshot, sitcome-esque romcom twist, girls beating guys, bewbs. LAWL.
Excel Saga is bitingly witty and I just can't find anything else like it... it's set the bar too high for me, I think.
KOSHIIIIII!
I'll have to try Black Lagoon, though!
-scurries off to hopefully have her faith restored-
Good to see you around, Foggle! And hope you're feeling better, Elric!
I, Pamplemousse, do not believe in alligators.

Randamo

• Special Municipal Force Daitenzin Member
  • You're not my Master Chief, and that's okay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2009, 02:40:44 AM »
i get that way looking at my collection too. I'm not even interested in the excel saga anime (funny thing to say in the ES forum)
Im hanging in to watch the better anime: full metal alchemist/panic, princess tutu, nana and SKU to name a few. I can't stand to watch some of the stuff i have now. I'll have to sell some things soon...
BTW, sayonara zetsubou sensei is the only anime i'm really committed to follow.

Truthfully, it's better this way. I used to buy any anime that came my way, but getting some discernment over what's worth getting means not spending huge amounts of money on my obsession.

exckilla

• ACROSS SUPER SECRET COMMANDER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2009, 12:34:30 PM »
I'm having the same problem I see some anime I want to buy and all of a sudden change my mind especially sinc I don't know now what I am looking for in an anime wehether it b funny or serious stuff.

HA1L ILPALLAZZO

• I have returned
  • Spam Master
  • HA1L ILPALAZZO
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2009, 12:37:43 PM »
I struggle to watch anime aswell recently but it's to do with finance and the anime Industry in the UK and worldwide rather then loss of interest. with ADV falling through and many main industries retreating from our shores I'm having to buy region 1 DVD's from america meaning having to pay extra, which i can't do as I lost my main job back in may and am on an angency part time job till after christmas T_T. I have a list of anime I wanna get as soon as I sought other things out (new job, new car, apartment etc etc) so I've put it on the back burner until everything else is soughted out

ElTigreNumeroUno

• Pedophile Scientist
    • View Profile
    • http://s3.invisionfree.com/Excel_Saga/
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2009, 01:28:45 PM »

I was in the same boat a few years ago. There's been a few newer series that I've enjoyed, but going back and finding older and/or less popular series really helped get me out of my slump. Also, the US licensing companies learning nobody wanted to pay 200 bucks for a boxset didn't hurt either. (Hurray for slim packs!)

Foggle

• Mr. Pink
  • Administrator
  • Senior Staff Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2009, 01:33:12 PM »
ElTigre, that picture is magnificent. Sums up my feelings about Umineko perfectly. ;)

Mas

• Emergency food supply
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2009, 09:30:17 PM »
Umineko anime certainly is terrible, but I wouldn't say that it's worse than Higurashi. I think DEEN is improving, and at least they didn't leave out any scenes that were actually important to the plot like they did in Higurashi (probably because Ryukishi07 is supervising the creation of the Umineko anime). Sure, a lot of character development was left out, but it's not like they can fit a 40 hour long story into a 26 episode long (8 hours) series.