Author Topic: Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt  (Read 8561 times)

Lan

Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt
« on: October 01, 2010, 03:24:08 PM »
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=11605

Back in the day when I watched The Powerpuff Girls, I thought that there would be tons of Japanese cartoons in a similar visually over the top Japanese style. I was surprised to find there wasn't. It's taken 13 years for a Japanese studio to respond to this, and that studio just so happens to be Gainax.

It's got everything we would ever want for this style of anime (Powerpuff Girls Z is not one of them). It's got swear words, batshit crazygonuts looniversity animation/story, visual sound FX as standard, crudeness as standard, random live action sequences, random normal style animation sequences, a protagonist who clearly sleeps around, and a whole lot of fucking awesome epic style that goes with everything ive mentioned. Well, it is Gainax after all...

What a ride! XD

Mas

• Emergency food supply
    • View Profile
Re: Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 05:27:34 PM »
Not really a fan of this type of crude humor, but I'm watching this show solely for the awesome art style. And Stocking is fucking adorable.

Randamo

• Special Municipal Force Daitenzin Member
  • You're not my Master Chief, and that's okay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 06:20:33 PM »
Doesn't look like my thing, but i'll grant the art style is awesome.

Damn it, now I want to watch Powerpuff girls

Lord Il

• Spam Master
  • We are .org. Resistance is futile.
    • View Profile
    • Armitage's Dimension
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010, 11:47:31 AM »
This series has stirred a lot of interest at many anime communities.
I... don't quite understand why yet. ^^;

This is not to say I don't want to find out either. My curiosity has been sparked. The art style is nothing I've seen since the likes of Super Milk-Chan, Dead Leaves, and the PowerPuff Girls.

Mas

• Emergency food supply
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2010, 01:36:13 PM »

Probably because it's Gainax. Fans will love them no matter what they produce.

Lord Il

• Spam Master
    • View Profile
    • Armitage's Dimension
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2010, 11:23:18 AM »

Probably because it's Gainax. Fans will love them no matter what they produce.
Could be. Some think that Gainax can do no wrong.

Stocking is fucking adorable.

Quoted for truth!
I just watched episode 1 and have to agree with you on that one.
Very cute. ^^

ElricJC

• Part-Time Monkey God
  • Head of City Security
  • Burn, baby, burn
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 01:12:14 PM »
Umm... wow. Invader Zim + Powerpuff Girls + Ren & Stimpy x 10 perversion factor. Yeah, this is really fucked up, but I think tries waaaay to hard. My brain died a little.

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Lord Il

• Spam Master
    • View Profile
    • Armitage's Dimension
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 01:22:36 PM »
My brain died a little.
So did mine. :il_hahaha:
Yet... I'm strangely intrigued. :e_confused:

Shoot me now! :e_tongue:

Lord Il

• Spam Master
    • View Profile
    • Armitage's Dimension
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 05:28:48 PM »
I can't be the only one who has noticed this similarity, right?

Invader Zim creator Jhonen Vasquez might be keeping an eye on this one.

ElricJC

• Part-Time Monkey God
  • Head of City Security
  • Burn, baby, burn
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 06:13:34 PM »
I can't be the only one who has noticed this similarity, right?

First thing I thought of, actually. Yeah, quite the similarity.

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Foggle

• Mr. Pink
  • Administrator
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Damn, a security crate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 06:39:16 PM »
Knowing him, he's probably contemplating either suicide or genocide at the mere thought that there may, in fact, be Japanese Zim fans as insufferable as the American ones.

Speaking of which, he hasn't released any new comics in a while, has he? Did he finally go through with his threats to kill himself because of his annoying fan-base?

ElricJC

• Part-Time Monkey God
  • Head of City Security
  • Burn, baby, burn
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2010, 10:08:33 PM »
Knowing him, he's probably contemplating either suicide or genocide at the mere thought that there may, in fact, be Japanese Zim fans as insufferable as the American ones.

Speaking of which, he hasn't released any new comics in a while, has he? Did he finally go through with his threats to kill himself because of his annoying fan-base?

One can hope. Mind you I find his stuff amusing, but I mean really, being so annoyed at people who love your stuff and give you money that you want to kill yourself is about the dumbest thing ever. Man, gimme some of that love, folks :D.

Lan

Foggle

• Mr. Pink
  • Administrator
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Damn, a security crate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2010, 05:54:05 AM »

One can hope. Mind you I find his stuff amusing, but I mean really, being so annoyed at people who love your stuff and give you money that you want to kill yourself is about the dumbest thing ever. Man, gimme some of that love, folks :D.
I actually do find it awesome that he has the balls to point out that he dislikes the people who send him 500 pieces of incomprehensible fan-mail a day, but yeah, I think he's going a bit far with the threats he made (though I'm sure they were all created in the name of comedy!).
he commented on it all right
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2010-10-05/invader-zim-creator-comments-on-panty-and-stocking
That was pretty funny, I thought. :)

ElricJC

• Part-Time Monkey God
  • Head of City Security
  • Burn, baby, burn
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2010, 08:44:57 AM »

I actually do find it awesome that he has the balls to point out that he dislikes the people who send him 500 pieces of incomprehensible fan-mail a day, but yeah, I think he's going a bit far with the threats he made (though I'm sure they were all created in the name of comedy!).
he commented on it all right
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2010-10-05/invader-zim-creator-comments-on-panty-and-stocking
That was pretty funny, I thought. :)

When you're famous, you have to deal with crazy fans, it's part of fame, and knowing when to pay attention to fan responses, while placing the rest in the circular file.

However, his response was much lighter than I thought it would be. Pretty funny stuff.