Author Topic: Micki!'s manga drawings (and non manga if i feel like it)  (Read 104634 times)

Lord Il

• Spam Master
  • We are .org. Resistance is futile.
    • View Profile
    • Armitage's Dimension
Re: Micki!'s manga drawings (and non manga if i feel like it)
« Reply #330 on: July 28, 2008, 08:12:42 PM »
Very nice!

I like how you rendered the first three. Looks like you had fun making these.
Were they done in marker? Ink? Maybe it was the Whiteboard again? O.o

MincyMatsu

• Don't leave out the "!"
  • Global Moderator
  • Spam Master
  • On the internet, no one can hear you scream
    • View Profile
    • http://www.duke4.net
« Reply #331 on: July 29, 2008, 04:29:18 AM »
Very nice!

I like how you rendered the first three. Looks like you had fun making these.
Were they done in marker? Ink? Maybe it was the Whiteboard again? O.o

All three were done in MSN's handwriting feature... The thing supports pressure sensivity, so using tablet is actually fun in there...

In many, maaany ways, i kinda like doodling in MSN alot more than anywhere else on the pc, so i do it often, very often :o
I made this one recently too, it's some Excel-ish person
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 04:32:16 AM by Micki! »
A true genius does not need boundaries such as 'common sense'

MincyMatsu

• Global Moderator
  • Spam Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: August 07, 2008, 07:08:01 PM »
I drew Iwata sketches

I've been practicing so much with him, to get his eyes and typical expressions right and stuff, i finally think i got it here...

Yarh, no reference used other than memory, i'm not cheatin'  :elhail:

Lord Il

• Spam Master
    • View Profile
    • Armitage's Dimension
« Reply #333 on: August 09, 2008, 06:17:51 PM »
I can look at that and immediately say, "That is definately Iwata".

Great stuff, Micki! ^_^

I'd like to see you make Iwata and Watanabe in one of their usual arguments. I bet it would be hilarious.

MincyMatsu

• Global Moderator
  • Spam Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: August 10, 2008, 12:55:59 AM »
Yarh, that's actually a good idea that i hadn't thought of :o
thank ye

Mas

• Emergency food supply
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: August 10, 2008, 10:51:08 AM »
Your Iwata looks good. ^^

Yeah, draw him with Watanabe!

Randamo

• Special Municipal Force Daitenzin Member
  • You're not my Master Chief, and that's okay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: August 13, 2008, 04:59:14 AM »
hey i've been looking at your pictures and i think the best thing to improve is your torso. i'd recommend that you draw the body without the arms so that you can focus on the movement on the rest of you body. plus, arms really can get in the way of drawing torsos by blocking it. Also, when your drawing excel's chest, ah, she's got a pretty small one, right? i think she does...? Any way, the chest would look better if you didn't draw it out, but rather use that top she wears to show it. If that made sense, good.
It's pretty hard to perfect. I've been drawing manga and have had actual art classes on drawing real people for about 4 years. practice makes perfect, right? My problem is i put too much attention to the face and lose interst in drawing the rest of the body.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 05:01:31 AM by randamonian »

MincyMatsu

• Global Moderator
  • Spam Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: August 13, 2008, 11:58:28 AM »

It's pretty hard to perfect. I've been drawing manga and have had actual art classes on drawing real people for about 4 years. practice makes perfect, right? My problem is i put too much attention to the face and lose interst in drawing the rest of the body.

I actually have that habit as well, paying too much attention to the face than anything else... You're absolutely right with the torso stuff, i do actually, always 'guess' how bodies look, rather than doing some anatomical correct line-work...

Because i have not have any such things as art classes, so i am not familar with how to progress things correctly...

So yeah, i should practive practice practice... And stuff like that...

[edit:]
Keeping in mind what Randamonian just said, i made a quick sketch of a torso only, wearing excel's uniform...

I beliee it's easier to aid me doing this correctly if there's an actual reference of my stuff to base it of, so here's a torso, tell me how to improve it please  :elhail:
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 12:18:13 PM by Micki! »

Randamo

• View Profile
« Reply #338 on: August 14, 2008, 05:00:46 PM »
looks pretty good, remember that spacing is important.
from neck to bust, imagine an outstretched hand. The thumb would be at the collar bone indent at the bottom of a neck, and the pinkie would hit the start of the underarm (if you can imagine that :/). The bust would start that low down. Then the ribs underneath the bust are one handspan wide down. you're doing alright with the rest. Comparing the length or size off something with another object is something you should often do.
I suggest you get a human model of which to get basics off of.

MincyMatsu

• Global Moderator
  • Spam Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: August 14, 2008, 06:20:48 PM »
I do compare sized of one limb with the size of another as you suggest... But i rarely do them helping lines along with it though, i draw stuff out of the blue...

To exlpain this further, i really have to ellaborate on how i made this torso sketch here to begin with, the progress of it may- (uhh, or may not, i don't know many artists and their ways to draw, to be honest haha) -appear kinda untraditional;

I've drawn out my lines with color, each indicating which came first, and when something was added around it... (yellow needs to be highlighted i see, haha)
Notice that no helping lines such as bubbles or squares to indicate the position and size of stuff are there, i used none such, but started drawing details right away

1) Red was my first line, it was the breast
2) Green was my second line, the other breast
3) Blue was my third lines, down the belly area, and adding plating on the breasts and such
4) The brownish red, the shoulder pads were the fourth details i made, to kinda find the shoulders location... Note, that i didn't use help lins there, i actually guessed where they'd look 'right'... Afterwards thugh, i added shoulder through the shoulder pads as seen, but those were actually a final touch to the whole sketch, and not something i added before or right after the pads
5) The yellow was the neck and colar... It was also here i overlooked the sketch to see if it seemed anatomically right, after which i refined the lines everywhere to make it prettier and stuff

Reference image is here below

So, rather than making a set of bubbles or squares and all that to determine how what looks before detailed parts are added, i add tehm right away, and reefine them at the end...i also like to draw each set if limbs out completely, like one fully detailed arm with fingers and all, and when it looks right, i make the other arm, instead of making two undetailed sketches of the arms to figure if they look right that way...
I really dislike using references... I feel i'm by cheating using anything beyond my memory of how things should look, although i KNOW professional artists use references as well... But it still feels not right when the memory is perfectly capable of knowing how things should look...
It's partly also because it saves time to just draw them out right away, assuming i DO get it right the moment i draw it (-since if i make a mistake, i end up erasing and changing more than i wanted to)... It takes longer to make out a complete sketch and then add things to it... It's faster making them right away, but not as safe, but it helps unpatient people like me getting done in the wanted amount of time though...

I ended up writing awfully much here, i hope it's not too confusing ...

Anyhow, don't take this on a means of me defending myself (it would be awfully arrogant if i didn't take well against constructive critism, rude too)
I am explaining what direction i took when i made the sketch though, so assuming it's not too confusing to see what i explained, it should be easier to tell how to improve on that... Since, i believe i don't follow the traditional way of doing things, so getting suggestions based on traditional ways wouldn't really do me any good, unless i changed of course... But as i explained, the traditional ways take more time and i hate using much time on stuff...

-It's still not too confusing is it..?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 06:25:51 PM by Micki! »

Randamo

• View Profile
« Reply #340 on: August 16, 2008, 02:29:15 AM »
the most important thing is you're having fun, yes?
but if you just want to do drawing by memory, first do some practise by references and go on your own. or observe people. I admit that the observing people thing might have bad repercussions, yet i haven't been caught yet(I'm no pervert)!
or else, completely ignore realistic bodies. Manga is about distorted proportions. Thats why its so fun to draw!

MincyMatsu

• Global Moderator
  • Spam Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: August 16, 2008, 04:08:51 AM »
I do have fun if it looks right, haha...

I don't draw as much as it may appear like though... i draw maybe 2 things a week on a little piece of sketchy paper on A6 size... A full A4 comes more like once every 2 months, i'm just not too motivated for the time being...

But yea, i do observe people... (not peep, observe, haha) that's how i do it by memory, but when using the word reference, i think like, drawing something --more or less-- precisely as it looks, something existing... Like a chair seen from a certain angle... That's alot easier than actually making the same chair in any other angle without looking at it, but at least it's not based on something...

But, i guess references aren't as evil as i make them sound like, Painters do it, professional artists too...
I think i really should give in with using references more often too... I often compare my stuff with professional things, and frown over how theirs look too much better, but i never concider the fact that in cases, they used refernces... So in a way the comparison i make is not fair...

Yarh, erh anyways, i made a list in my head of what i need to draw now, haha... But i'll write it here in case i forget...

- Iwata and Watanabe doing thier usual fight-thing

- Ropponmatsu 1-2 and Excel and Hyatt, swapping clothes with the robots...

- Comic that i had going since forever, and haven't worked on in months

This one --

I need to work much on the hair which i'm not happy with, well it's months old, and i focused more on doing direct tracing over my original scanned sketches, rather than doing them seperatel, which i think would look better and less stiff-ish
No comment on the comic itself, it's a seeecret

- A set of panels/mini strips of several Excel Saga characters swapping personality mode... Maintaining their original roles, but their personalities are different...

- A misunderstood line of words involving Ropponmatsu II and the Cable in her head

MincyMatsu

• Global Moderator
  • Spam Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: August 17, 2008, 10:38:56 AM »
Again i must appoligize for posting after another of my own replies, but edits simply do not notify the thread of being 'newly posted'

Here goes something i made last night (it was actually 5 at morning, but i went to bed afterwards, haha)
I finished it off with the mechanical pencil the next morning...

It's Ropponmatsu II in Excel's uniform... Which appears a little too big for her in the chest and waist area, it's not her uniform afterall, haha...

Lord Il

• Spam Master
    • View Profile
    • Armitage's Dimension
« Reply #343 on: August 20, 2008, 02:44:55 PM »
- Comic that i had going since forever, and haven't worked on in months

This one --
I remember you giving a sneak peek at this project some time ago. It looks amazing!!! O_O I look forward to its completion!

- A misunderstood line of words involving Ropponmatsu II and the Cable in her head
The idea has me laughing already. :il_hahaha:

lol.. Ropp II taking Excel's wardrobe now.. :ropponmatsuII:
Gotta wonder if she has the real Menchi clenched in her hand, or a stuffed one.

MincyMatsu

• Global Moderator
  • Spam Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: August 23, 2008, 04:38:34 AM »
I look forward too, when i'm not being lazy and finally finish this project...
It's anly about 20 pages, it's a little mess atm, and many panels i think, should be redone...
The amount of reworking and finishing touches kinda kills my motivation before i get to do any work...

The idea has me laughing already. :il_hahaha:

lol.. Ropp II taking Excel's wardrobe now.. :ropponmatsuII:
Gotta wonder if she has the real Menchi clenched in her hand, or a stuffed one.

I should have given Mince some real tears then :D