Author Topic: Lucky Star  (Read 31879 times)

Lord Il

• Spam Master
  • We are .org. Resistance is futile.
    • View Profile
    • Armitage's Dimension
Lucky Star
« on: July 16, 2007, 09:11:38 PM »
Every now and then a new anime series comes out which becomes so strangely popular it can sometimes defy logic as to why. It simply drowns out everything else out there in becoming a current sensation. Hot on the heels of Haruhi, Kyoto Animation's Lucky?Star seems to be achieving this in spades.

The best way I can describe this is.... well..... It's an anime about.. nothing. Nothing in particular, and not really any continuity of a story or plot to speak of between episodes.

hmm... Think Azumanga Daioh... which has been dipped into a vat of bubbling, pure 100% Moe.

So I was wondering.... who's been into the Lucky?Star anime lately? O.o
Who's your fav characters? Best moments? Lets a-go!

MincyMatsu

• Don't leave out the "!"
  • Global Moderator
  • Spam Master
  • On the internet, no one can hear you scream
    • View Profile
    • http://www.duke4.net
Lucky Star
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 02:49:25 AM »
I have started watching it, and i like it alot already...

I don't need to name any characters in particular, as all of them (ALL) are great imo... Well, maybe Konata a little bit more than the others...

It's like Azumanga Daioh alright, but with a more mature kind of humor...
The simple art style is cool...

The Opening is catchy, and fun listening to btw  :)
A true genius does not need boundaries such as 'common sense'

Inkwolf

• Social Worker
    • View Profile
Lucky Star
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 11:16:30 AM »
I saw your avatar and thought "I GOTTA watch that!"

Unfortunately, I only get to see anime on DVD, and it's not yet.

DEFENSE!! DEFENSE!!___OFFENSE!! OFFENSE!!

HA1L ILPALLAZZO

• I have returned
  • Spam Master
  • HA1L ILPALAZZO
    • View Profile
Lucky Star
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 11:42:35 AM »
I've been watching the series and also have found some items out

first off it is more like Azumanga Daiohbut much more cute

also there are many anime referances (some of you might have already got them)

theres 24 episodes (which is odd for an anime)

and one more thing the manga is still going XD

no common sense

• Toilet Cleaner
  • Guy who appears randomly
    • View Profile
Lucky Star
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 09:53:10 AM »
After hearing so much about it, I watched it but found it boring at first.  I would have abandoned it if there wasn't such an enormous buzz around it.  I watched another episode, and by the time the third episode came out I was pretty much hooked.  The show is like the puchuus, the cuteness will overwhelm your ability to say no.
I sometimes wondered why these slice of life anime like azu and LS had no male female interaction but my little sister was able to help answer my question.  She's currently in an exchange program and attending a Japanese high school.  She said that they "act like a bunch of third graders" in that the boys and girls hang out on opposite sides of the classroom and don't talk to each other.  So apparently a lack of male female interaction in high school is the norm.  This could also explain the frequency of anime that create uncanny situations that force interaction between male and female characters.

Foggle

• Mr. Pink
  • Administrator
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Damn, a security crate!
    • View Profile
Lucky Star
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2007, 10:08:57 AM »
I find it funny at times, but I don't like it that much.  It's still better than half the garbage on TV nowadays, though.

HA1L ILPALLAZZO

• I have returned
  • Spam Master
  • HA1L ILPALAZZO
    • View Profile
Lucky Star
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2007, 10:44:35 AM »
Quote from: "Foggle"
I find it funny at times, but I don't like it that much.  It's still better than half the garbage on TV nowadays, though.

you philistine foggle XD

I like the anime and am looking foward for it now (for the love of god let it be released over here please)

Foggle

• Mr. Pink
  • Administrator
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Damn, a security crate!
    • View Profile
Lucky Star
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2007, 03:07:06 PM »
Quote from: "HA1L ILPALLAZZO"
Quote from: "Foggle"

you philistine foggle XD

:Ecry:

:wink:

R Kenshin

• Bio Scientist
  • Toilet Cleaner
    • View Profile
Lucky Star
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2007, 12:18:10 PM »
Yay, a lucky star chat. Okay, I've been away from the Excel Saga Forums for a while now but now i'm back. (I usually come back when there is a new release of Excel Saga)

Anyways, I have been into lucky star and I just watched episode 15 that came out dubbed on Veoh.com. Anyways here is what I think. I love the show. I usually download and watch it as soon as it comes out as well as with Hayate no Gotoku. The story does remind me of Azumanga Diaoh with moe 100%.

My main character has to be Konota as she is so funny the way she just plays games all night and watches anime with her hardcore anime references. But my favorite characters that I wish they would host an entire show of would be Akira?-sama and Sabastion (forgot his real name) Those two characters from Lucky-Channel are just so funny. I wish akira sama would appear in the actually show.

I hate to say but I also just love the Cop and the Teacher. They are the funniest shit ever. The best part in the entire series was the Inital D parady when the cop was racing. I  :P  so hard. The teacher is 26? and she still hasn't gotten a husband yet. I feel bad for her. She needs her own episode too.

I got into lucky star while browsing Veoh and I came across that crazy opening song. The opening song is so unique and filled with moe that i just had to watch the entire series. The voice actor is by the same person who did Haruhi from Haruhi Suzumiya and is by the same studio as well so you see a ton of haruhi Suzumiya references. The story is just so great. If I had to describe it I would think Azumanga plus Genshiken plus moe. That outta be a good idea for the show.

Whew that was alot of talking. i haven't ranted about such a great show since Berserk and Death Note.
Roar, Roar, fight the power

R Kenshin

• Bio Scientist
  • Toilet Cleaner
    • View Profile
Lucky Star
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2007, 08:41:41 PM »

Here is a funky image of one of my favorite gangs. I really just love all the characters.
Roar, Roar, fight the power

Lord Il

• Spam Master
    • View Profile
    • Armitage's Dimension
Re: Lucky Star
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2007, 03:46:44 PM »
The show is like the puchuus, the cuteness will overwhelm your ability to say no.
Too true. When I started watching the first few episodes I asked myself why I was I watching this. Truth is, the cuteness factor grabs hold and puts you into an inevitable deathgrip that's difficult to get away from.

I sometimes wondered why these slice of life anime like azu and LS had no male female interaction but my little sister was able to help answer my question.  She's currently in an exchange program and attending a Japanese high school.  She said that they "act like a bunch of third graders" in that the boys and girls hang out on opposite sides of the classroom and don't talk to each other.  So apparently a lack of male female interaction in high school is the norm.  This could also explain the frequency of anime that create uncanny situations that force interaction between male and female characters.
Very interesting. Helps to explain between what's fact and fiction with school social interaction in Japan.

My main character has to be Konota as she is so funny the way she just plays games all night and watches anime with her hardcore anime references.
Same here. A lot of this about her character seems to be influenced by her dad. Kinda makes her appear moreso a tomboy when compared with her friends. She's not at all like the clichéd female character in so many different series.

I hate to say but I also just love the Cop and the Teacher.
lol! What's to hate in that? Konata's older cousin, Yui, and her teacher have cracked me up on more than one occasion.

Yes, Konata rules in this series.
I'm up to episode 16 now. For the first time, her friends decide to go where she works. It's kinda like a Maid Cafe except it's general cosplaying. Konata playing the role of Haruhi Suzumiya as she takes food orders was hilarious..

Konata: "You people. What do you want to drink?"

Kagami: "Hold on a sec.."

Konata: "Hurry it up. There's a penalty if you take too long! A penalty!"

Kagami: "Is this how you normally treat customers?"

Konata: "(It's how we do things here.) You're done deciding, right?"

Tsukasa: "I'll have a melon soda."

Konata: "I have no interest in an ordinary menu."

ROFL!! XD

It seems more than obvious that Konata's mother passed away at some point. What made it most obvious was episode 15(?) when Konata's dad asked how she'd feel about him remarrying. Konata, with a straight face, says she'd have no problem with it. But then there was a lot of April Fool's jokes going around in this episode which make it unclear of his seriousness. Perhaps that was his joke which seemed to backfire on him? Maybe future episodes will shed more light on this.
Not sure whether to label him as a perv since he seems to have an open preference for younger girls. His own daughter knows this for a fact and can become embarrassed over it.

Oh, and Akira from Lucky Channel is a narcissist to the very extreme of the word. AND is funny as hell being one.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2007, 03:52:07 PM by Lord Il »

Lord Il

• Spam Master
    • View Profile
    • Armitage's Dimension
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2007, 05:45:54 PM »
^A reason? O.o NOOO! Run away from teh cuteness while you still can!! Run starcat!! =P

I'd recommend checking out some stuff either on YouTube or Veoh (my preference has been Veoh for better quality) and see what you think. ^^

Random fact: Apparently the first animation director was fired after the 4th episode. Kyoto Animation felt this director wasn't up to their standards of quality.

HA1L ILPALLAZZO

• I have returned
  • Spam Master
  • HA1L ILPALAZZO
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2007, 11:06:38 PM »
it kinda shows I think that he was fired after the forth episode. the other episodes have a differant feel to them.

I think I said before but I like the guys in the anime store when they try to sell to konata

Lord Il

• Spam Master
    • View Profile
    • Armitage's Dimension
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2007, 02:04:41 PM »
^I think they refer to her as "Legendary Girl A".
They pretty much think of her as being godlike because she probably buys more stuff from them than anyone else.

Edit: Here's a few vids of them. lmao!

http://www.youtube.com/v/CP3j6G1RWpQ

http://www.youtube.com/v/Wj8w8xZqAVU

MincyMatsu

• Don't leave out the "!"
  • Global Moderator
  • Spam Master
  • On the internet, no one can hear you scream
    • View Profile
    • http://www.duke4.net
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2007, 02:10:05 PM »